Useful Tips From the Book: Getting the Best out of Al-Hajj (Pilgrimage) [Darussalam]
1. Mark passports by putting coloured tape on the edge of the passport to make it easily recognisable in a pile of passports.
2. Make copies of your passports and keep separate from your passport.
3. Keep some extra passport-sized photos with you (at least 4). In case you loose your identity badge.
4. Mark your bags inside and outside (using bright coloured paint) with your initials . If you can include your permanent residence details as well as your Makkah and Madinah contact details.
5. In the event of lost, baggage, keep some spare clothes and underwear in your overnight bag/ or cabin bag.
6. Remember and note down the following before you travel: the colour, the brand/make, any other special identifiabale features of your suitcase.
Packing and Shopping List
WHAT TO BUY AND PACK FOR HAJJ
Advisable to have 2, to change if one gets dirty
Avoid black or white as they are very common.
Travel pillow/eye mask and ear plugs
Useful if you wish to sleep when sharing room/tent with others
Money belts & lightweight back packs
Useful for packing for Arafat and Muzdalifah
Dark colours are recommended
Tablets for pain and fever
Muscle cream & antiseptic cream (useful for aching legs and muscles)
Antibiotics (amoxicillin, penicillin, etc)/Beechams flu plus/Sudafed/paracetamol, ibuprofen
Diarrhoea tablets/constipation medicine
Anti allergy tablets eg piriton/Zirtek
Plasters & bandages
Cream for skin irritation
Vitamins, Vitamin C etc
Socks and cardigans/ warmshawls
Will be quite cold in Madinah
Thick socks will also be useful for the women for tawaaf and say’ between safa marwa as the marble floor can be quite hard for ladies feet. (Also avoid any hard skin on soles of feet as these can also be very painful with long contact on hard marble floors.
Surgical type is useful
Sunglasses and caps
Scent free soap
Scent free Moisturising cream
Liquid soap (shower hair & body wash). Take small handsoaps as well for use in Arafat and Mina.
Scent free pocket tissues
Attar perfume for men
Miswak & toothbrushes & toothpaste
A cloth bag to put flip flops/chappals/shoes
This will help to identify your shoes from others in plastic bags.
Take an extra pair and a bag for to put them in
For registration/idenitity cards.
Useful for sleeping on floor (Mina, Arafat, Muzdalifah
Small folding seat
This can be purchased in Jedda
Very useful for Mina, Arafat, Muzdalifah
500 Saudi Riyals cash as well as traveller’s cheques
Large queues at Hajj Terminal bank. Large sums are not required till Makkah or Madeenah
Long abayas & cotton trousers
Scarfs & misr & bright colour ribbon & safety pins
The ribbon can be worn on the back of the head or around your head for easy identification
Useful for the 5 days of hajj for the women (when in Mina and Arafat). Available from Mothercare.
A small amount may be useful until you can buy some
Clothes line and pegs
Or you could get one of those plastic socks and underwear hangars
Small pair of scissors
Useful for cutting ladies’ hair in the hotel
Sleeping bags and blankets
Will be needed in Muzdalifah at night
Useful for wudu
Tagis or sneakers/or lightweight walking shoes
Could be used when walking to stone jamrat instead of flip flops as flip flops can easily be stepped on and lost.