* Received the Madihur Rasool Sadaqatullah Appa Award 2012 CE for outstanding Arabic Scholar, from the Department of Arabic, Persian & Urdu, University of Madras, India (see ceremony below);
* Received the national award for Outstanding Arabic Scholar in 1997 CE conferred by former president of India: Dr. S. D. Sharma;
* Deeply learned in the Glorious Quraan and Sunnah;
* Holds M.Phil. and Ph.D. Degrees in Arabic Philology from the University of Al-Azhar (Cairo);
* Majored in English Language and Literature, University of Madras, India;
* Formerly Professor of Arabic Language for 30 years at the Islaamic University of Madinah;
* Has taught Arabic as a foreign language all over the world: at Islaamic University Madinah, at Islaamic University Omdurman Sudan, at Khartoum University, Sudan, in Germany, in Washington D.C. and in British Guyana;
* Has taught Arabic as a foreign language for over 50 years;
* An expert in the etymology, phonetic change and semantic development of European languages;
* Formerly the Director of the ‘Institute of Teaching Arabic as a Foreign Language, Islaamic University, Madinah;
* Currently the Director of the Translation Centre at the ‘King Fahd Glorious Quraan Printing Complex (Madinah, Saudi Arabia)
A Brief Biography
V. Abdur Rahim was born in the small town of Vaniyambadi in the state of Tamil Nadu, India in 1933. After finishing his secondary school studies, he joined Presidency College, University of Madras where he majored in English Language and Literature. He graduated in 1957. In 1964, he joined al-Azhar University, Cairo, where he did his M.Phil. and Ph.D. in Arabic Philology.
It is to be noted that Abdur Rahim learnt Arabic by himself at the early stages. The school where he did his secondary school studies offered Arabic, but the lessons it offered consisted of only memorizing the conjugation tables. Abdur Rahim detested this method. He thought that it was the most unnatural way of learning a language. Only dead languages like Latin, Syriac, etc. are taught this way. Living languages teach sentences straightaway. He decided to design a curriculum to teach Arabic to non-native speakers of Arabic.
In 1969, he joined the Islamic University of Madinah to teach Arabic Philology. Here, he was also associated with the Programme of teaching Arabic as a foreign language. The course he designed for this purpose is now known as دروسُ اللغةِ العربيةِ لـغير الناطقين بـها Durus al-Lughah al-Arabiyyah li-Ghair al-Natiqina Biha. (Now these books are popularly known throughout the world as MADINAH BOOKS.)
When he was learning Arabic by himself, Abdur Rahim studied the many problems that beset the non-native students of Arabic, and tried to solve them. He discovered that all these problems can easily be solved by applying the principle of taqdim al- usul ala al-furu, i.e. teaching the primary elements before the secondary elements. The following are some of the manifestations of the application of this principle:
1. Teaching the primary case-endings before the secondary endings, so you teach the masruf noun before the mamn min al-sarf, and the al-afal al-arbaah before the al-afal al-khamsah.
2. Teaching the salim verb before the other categories.
3. Teaching the al-mudari al-marfu before the al-mudari al-mansûb or al-mudari al-majzum.
4. Teaching the plural of intelligent nouns before that of non-intelligent nouns.
Another principle Abdur Rahim advocates is that rules of waqf should not be applied during the teaching stage, for in that case the student cannot learn the correct ending of the last word in the sentence as, ma smu-ka and ma smu-ki, for example, are both reduced to ma smu-k.
Books & Courses
The following are the books and courses Dr. Abdur Rahim has written in the field of teaching Arabic as a Foreign Language:
1. Lets Begin to Read Arabic : A Beginners Guide to Learning the Arabic Language and the Quraan
2. AL-TIBYAAN Easy way to Quraanic Reading
Arabic Course for Non-Native Speakers of Arabic: Originally Devised and Taught at Islaamic University, Madinah
4. Key To
5. Key To Exercises of
6. Kitaab Al-Muallim. 3 Vol. Teaching Manuals for:
7. A Glossary of Words Used in Duruus l-Lughati l-Arabiyyah: Arabic-English Dictionary
11. From Esfahan To Madinah In Search of Truth: Salmaan al-Faarisis Hadiith رضي اللهُ عنه
12. الْبَاحِثُ عن الْحَقِّ: قِصَّةُ سلمانَ الفارسيِّ رضي الله عنه
13. Both These Lights Emanate from the Same Niche Hadiith of Umm Salamah (raDiyAllaahu anhaa).
19. Selections from the Glorious Quraan: With Lexical and Grammatical Notes and DVDs: A Companion to Duruusu l-Lughah al-Arabiyyah
Suurah al-Hujuraat With Lexical and Grammatical Notes and DVDs
21. Madinah Arabic Reader: Arabic Course as Taught at Islaamic University, Madinah: For Children
23. Europe Speaks Arabic